Moving to Reno, NV? 4 Tips for a Smooth Move
4 Mar, 2022
Are you thinking of moving to Reno, Nevada? Or maybe you’ve already started packing and are in the process of making this move a reality.
Reno is a great place to live, with plenty of opportunities for work and recreation. However, moving can be stressful, so here are some quick tips. These are more than just the boring “should and shouldn’t” tips you usually find. Instead, we put together a guide to help make your move as smooth as possible.
- Packing. Don’t underestimate the amount of packing that needs to be done. You’re going to want a lot of boxes and packing materials for your items. Make sure to label your boxes to save you time as you’re looking for items you immediately need when unpacking. For labeling tips, read here.
- Planning and organizing. Nothing beats proper planning to ensure your move goes smoothly. When moving, plan which items should be packed first and last. Pack your essentials and daily used items last. Also, include hiring moving trucks and how long it will take to pack your things. Be thorough as you plan to make moving day go as well as possible. Also, planning well will make it easier to overcome obstacles as they arise during the move.
- Put your essentials in a carry-on bag. You don’t want to scramble and unpack every box finding the item you need. Instead, bag all your essential items such as toothbrushes, soap, clean sheets and even trash bags. Doing so makes it easier to take what you need without the mess of going through every box.
- While packing, take the opportunity to declutter your things. Anything that you no longer use, pack it in a box for donation. You don’t want to move items with you that will likely end up as clutter in your new home. As you sort through your things, you may find there are items you want to keep but don’t want to move. These can be stored in a storage unit for safe keeping. So, as you pack sort the items you want to keep in your home or at storage and things you can donate or that need to be put into the trash.
What You Need to Know When Moving to Reno, NV
Dubbed as “The Biggest Little City in the World,” Reno is the third largest city in Nevada. As of 2020, the city has a growing population of 271,966. While these quick facts are good to know, we figured it’s more interesting to learn why Reno is perfect for individuals looking for incredible outdoor recreation opportunities, a burgeoning art and culture scene, or a thriving job market.
Job opportunities in the city are on a constant upswing with new businesses coming into Nevada. Thanks to the city’s tax incentive, this helps businesses expand and grow. Ultimately, this will lead to more job opportunities in the city.
Also, Reno houses a Tier 1 university—The University of Nevada, Reno (UNR). The university is known for its engineering, science, and medical programs. Moreover, the city has endless thriving communities and social hubs—not just casinos. From time to time, locals host various events and festivals for their community to take part in and enjoy.
Reno is not just your typical busy city with overflowing casinos and nightlife escapades. The city offers stability and home to families and individuals looking for a balanced life.
Building Your New “Bubble” When Moving to Reno, NV
Unlike other cities where even your neighbors are strangers to you, communities in Reno allow you to get to know other locals. There are a lot of local community group to join. From traditional groups to theme-centered gatherings, there’s a place for everyone.
It’s impossible to feel out of place or homesick once you’ve settled yourself in the area. No matter your culture, there are specific groups that honor and celebrate heritage of many different groups. Local centers or annual events are organized to celebrate traditions as well. This helps you feel like you belong, not matter where you came from.
Also, as you build your new “bubble” when moving to Reno, it’s important to find your local favorites. It is easier to adjust to a new place when you can identify your favorite places to eat, hangout, and live the life you came here for!
The best places to eat in Reno
With a diverse population follows a rich and wide variety of cuisines. Whether you’re looking for a casual meal or a fine dining experience, there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.
- Atlantis Sky Terrace Sushi and Oyster Bar. If you’re looking for a great dining experience, this restaurant with a scenic view will make your list of must-visit. You can enjoy their selection of over 50 types of sushi and raw oysters while overlooking the city from the terrace.
- Pangolin Café. Known and loved by locals and tourists, Pangolin serves the best coffee and delicacies. You can read the reviews here and see why this café is loved by every diner who walks in.
- Peg’s Glorified Ham n Eggs. This diner has been operating since 1999 and was recognized and named “Best Breakfast in Reno” for over 12 years. This quirky fact has locals and tourists lining up to get a seat at the diner.
The best places to go in Reno, NV
There’s a lot to love about Reno, Nevada. The city has something for everyone—from outdoor activities to casinos and nightlife. Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a longtime resident, we think you’ll find something new and exciting in this list of destinations. Here are some of the local and tourists’ favorite spots in the city, so you can start enjoying all that Reno has to offer.
- Sierra Adventures. Sierra Adventures offers tons of outdoor activities. From horseback riding and hot air balloon flying during summer to sleigh rides and ski adventures during winter. There’s an activity for everyone at every season. See what activities they offer here.
- National Automobile Museum. You can’t miss out on one of Reno’s top attractions. The National Automobile Museum houses more than 220 one-of-a-kind cars. The museum is a must-visit, especially for car enthusiasts and antique collectors.
- Raptor Adventures. While you need to plan and choose your dates if you’re visiting Reno for this attraction, it’s definitely worth the wait. Not only will you get to see falcons, hawks, and owls up-close, but you get to learn more about their life cycle. It’s definitely an opportunity that you wouldn’t want to pass up.
The best places to take your family when moving to Reno, NV
Moving to Reno or any other place with a family can be a bit overwhelming. There’s no need to worry, though. There is plenty to do with your family when you get here! Though there are a lot of places to visit for family fun, here are a few destinations you can hit to acclimate yourself to the city.
- West Street Market. The street market is a great place for your family to acclimate with the locals. With its variety of restaurants and community events in the area, you can dine and enjoy an everyday scene in Reno.
- Truckee River Walk. Enjoy one of Reno’s most scenic trails with your family. You don’t have to worry about getting lost as shops and attraction hubs surround the trail. You can even get a quick bite during your walk from one of the food establishments in the area.
- Historical Places. The best thing about taking your family here is that it allows you to familiarize yourself with the area and still make it an interesting and educational experience.
Find more to do in nearby Sparks, NV
Just outside of Reno is another city that offers many events and attractions. When people want to visit casinos and glamorous festivals, they think of Sparks, Nevada. The city always has something exciting to offer both to locals and tourists. Here are a few recommended activities to do when you visit Sparks, Nevada.
An automatic destination when visiting Sparks is The Marina Park. The park offers various activities—from swimming, scuba diving, and windsurfing to scenic trails and picnic shelters.
The city, just like Reno, promotes and supports the art scene. The Sparks Museum and Cultural Center features a train exhibit, an antique gallery, and other historical artifacts. Making this a hit destination for kids and inquisitive individuals.
For more fun activities to explore in the area, see here.
Vacation Destinations You Don’t Want to Miss When Moving to Reno, NV
When visiting Reno, it’s impossible to miss out on other major destinations in the area. These destinations are a great way for you to get away for a weekend without having to travel too far. Here is a list of destinations you must visit in and near Reno, Nevada.
- Lake Tahoe. A definite destination for every tourist and local when visiting Reno. Whether it’s summer or winter, the lake with its surrounding pines remains a destination and get-away from the busy city.
- Reno Arch. You haven’t visited Reno if you haven’t gone to the Reno Arch. It’s best to visit the iconic arch at night as it lights up the night sky with its 2,076 light bulbs.
- National Bowling Stadium. It’s impossible to miss this attraction in your itinerary. The stadium is known from being featured in countless movies with bowling scenes such as from the 1996 comedy Kingpin and another from the 1994 comedy Greedy.
- National Automobile Museum. Housing luxury cars previously owned by celebrities, the museum remains a destination for car enthusiasts and children. The museum also hosts activities and exhibits. You can check out their events calendar here.
If you would like a list of more destinations, you can visit as you take in the city, click here.
The Best Storage Solution When Moving to Reno, NV area
People often move to Reno for its scenic views and low cost of living. But before you can enjoy and take in the city, you’ll need to deal with the task of moving all your belongings. Make your move easier by using a self storage unit nearby.
For the best storage solution in Nevada, take a look at one of our many locations within the area. At each of our locations, we do our best to accommodate your needs.
Our storage units are equipped with digital surveillance systems and gate-controlled access for security. We also offer Protection Plans to ensure our customer’s property items are insured in case of natural disasters or other unforeseen events.
Our units are not only secured but we also offer climate-controlled storage units at some of our locations. We understand every concern of our customers. Thus, we know how dry and severely hot the city gets in the summer. We want to assure our customers that with our climate-controlled units, their items are maintained in pristine condition and protected from damage that can be caused by the heat.